Thursday, April 10, 2014

Some Things Are Starting to Make More Sense

Today's Jesus Calling goes perfectly in line with some of my recent thoughts.

TRUST ME IN EVERY DETAIL OF YOUR LIFE.  Nothing is random in My kingdom.  Everything that happens fits into a pattern for good, to those who love Me.  Instead of trying to analyze the intricacies of the pattern, focus your energy on trusting Me and thanking Me at all times.  Nothing is wasted when you walk close to Me.  Even your mistakes and sins can be recycled into something good, through My transforming grace.
 
While you were still living in darkness, I began to shine the Light of My Presence into your sin-stained life.  Finally, I lifted you up out of the mire into My marvelous Light.  Having sacrificed My very Life for you, I can be trusted in every facet of your life.
 
Jeremiah 17:7Just last week I called my dad on my lunch hour.  He answered and said, "Were your ears burning?  I was just bragging about you."  I said, "Oh really?  What about?" in which he told me that he was telling a customer (who's husband was training for a half Ironman) that I had done a few Ironman triathlons and had qualified for the Boston Marathon.
 
The reminder of the Boston Marathon stung last week and it was bittersweet when April 1st rolled around.  Sweet because we were finally out of March but bitter because I was reminded that the Boston Marathon was just weeks away.
 
This is a race that I have dreamed about running since 1996 when I was just 13 years old.  My step mom, brother, and I all went to watch my dad run the 100th Boston Marathon.  What an inspirational event that helped to mold my life.  I remember seeing my dad after he crossed the finish line and I told him that I wanted to run the Boston Marathon with him someday.
 
In 2003, I ran my first marathon and really started working towards that dream of qualifying for the Boston Marathon.  I ran a handful of marathons and was unsuccessful in that quest despite always being in shape and ready for a qualifying time.  I eventually put that dream on hold (maybe out of frustration) and started doing Ironman triathlons for a couple years (2006-2009).
 
Fast-forward to January-ish 2011.  My dad and I were running one day and talking about the Orange County marathon that was coming up in May.  At the time I did not want to commit because I was busy planning our wedding in June.  But, I decided to do one last marathon with my dad with zero expectations.
 
I half-heartedly trained when I could but was excited and ready for the race.  No matter what, my dad and I had committed to crossing the finish line together.  Well, I was having one of those very rare days and could have ran a personal record (PR).  My dad, on the other hand, was having the complete opposite day.  I stayed true to my word and the importance of what the race was all about...finishing together- which we did!
 
Psalm 40:2So, August 2011 rolls around and I'm now married and enjoying newlywed life.  Registration for the Orange County marathon is about to open and my dad and I talk about really going for a fast time this year.  We both signed up and started doing our training.  My personal goal was to run sub-3:40 which was the previous Boston Marathon qualifying time (it had just changed to 3:35 a year before).  I thought 3:40 was attainable but 3:35 was a far stretch.
 
Training was going really well though and I realized very quickly that qualifying for Boston was a possibility...and it was encouraging, inspiring, and really kept me motivated those last few weeks of training!  I went into the OC marathon as prepared as never before and ran the race of my life...3:26:47- finally qualifying for Boston 2013.
 
But, wait!  My dad did not have a qualifying time and would not be able to by the September deadline.  On top of that, they already had plans to be in Europe during the Boston Marathon, celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary.  Oh, and we were trying to start our family and hoping to be pregnant by then.  Why God, why???
 
I emailed the race director, told him our story and asked for a deferral to 2014.  He kindly gave it to me and I was stoked!  Our dream was alive!!
 
Then the bombings happened in 2013 and both my dad and I were humbled thinking that "it could have been us" as they happened within minutes of where we most likely would have finished.  Now our thoughts were more like, "Okay God, you knew this all along and saved us from being at the bombings".  But it also caused us to be even more motivated and excited for Boston 2014.
 
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him. ~ Romans 8:28 #bibleversesRegistration time comes around and I email the race director as instructed to do.  He forwards me to the registration direction and weeks go by before a response.  They are no longer accepting deferrals due to all the hype for 2014.  Wow, what a blow...but, oh well- we probably won't be able to run anyways since we were again hoping to be pregnant.
 
You see, just last week I was feeling down and bummed out that I wouldn't be running the Boston Marathon this year and today I am writing this blog knowing that God had this all planned out, every little detail!  I will not be running the Boston Marathon with my dad in a couple weeks because God gave me something so much better!  He gave me this precious little baby that means incredibly more to me than any marathon ever could!!  In fact, our first ultrasound appointment is the same day as the Boston Marathon! 
 
I am continually amazed and humbled at just how awesome God is!  He is good and He loves us so much that He gives us way more than we could ever ask for!  I never imagined that this would be our story, but it is and it continues to be full of the sweetest blessings!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment