Monday, January 6, 2014

A Daily Decision: Trusting in God's Plan

Yesterday, as I was reading the "But I Am Trusting" devotional from The One Year Book of Hope, I was moved to tears.  All the devotionals from this past week were exceptional but for some reason this one really hit home for me.

The following verse from the book of Psalm (31:10, 14-15) started off the devotional:

I am dying from grief; my years are shortened by sadness.  Misery has drained my strength; I am wasting away from within.  But I am trusting you, O Lord, saying, "You are my God!"  My future is in your hands.
 
The author goes on to describe how she would never have chosen the journey she experienced with both of her children (she loss them both at 6 months old to a rare genetic disorder) but yet it was a journey filled with so much joy and blessings.
 
"God has wisely kept us in the dark concerning future events... that He may TRAIN US UP IN A DEPENDENCE UPON HIMSELF and a continued readiness for every event." ~ Matthew HenryThis is where my heart is at right now.  I would never choose to go through this.  It has been the hardest season of my life.  And yet, I also know that it has been the richest season of my life as well.  If someone would have said to me that I would walk this path and experience blessings and joy, I would have doubted them completely.  But I would have been proven wrong because that is exactly what this season has been about.  I would never choose this journey but now having walked through it (at least partially) I also would not take it back either.
 
The second part of the devotional is about making the decision to trust in God's plan because it is far greater than any plan we could ever imagine for ourselves.  This is a decision that is not made just once but a decision that must be made daily.  And, like the author, simply making this decision and committing to trusting God no matter what the circumstances may be, does not automatically eliminate the fear that is bound to be present.
 
As Lloyd and I continue to travel this journey, we will also have to continue (just as we have in the past) to give it ALL to God and trust in His perfect timing.  This is a decision that is often hard to make especially when there are no guarantees at the end of the day.  Making this decision does not erase the heartache, sadness, pain, doubt, and fears that we face on a daily basis but it makes it so much more bearable knowing that our God is Mighty, He is Faithful, and His love endures forever!
 
Just this morning, I was reading Jesus Calling and thought that it was a great reminder to add to this devotional on Trusting God:
 
God is Able - Ephesians 3:20-21  |  8x10  |  Scripture Print  |  Typography 
I AM ABLE to do far beyond all that you ask or imagine.  Come to Me with positive expectations, knowing that there is no limit to what I can accomplish.  Ask My Spirit to control your mind, so that you can think great thoughts of Me.  Do not be discouraged by the fact that many of your prayers are yet unanswered.  Time is a trainer, teaching you to wait upon Me, to trust Me in the dark.  The more extreme your circumstances, the more likely you are to see My Power and Glory at work in the situation.  Instead of letting difficulties draw you into worrying, try to view them as setting the scene for My glorious intervention.  Keep your eyes and your ind wide open to all that I am doing in your life. 

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:30-31 PlHow beautifully said!  God is able to do far more than we can ever imagine!  Come to Him with positive expectations, expecting to see the impossible happen! 
 
This journey has been all about submitting to God's will, being patient, persevering, and continuing to place my eyes on the Lord of my life, looking for His instruction and direction as we wait for His answers to our prayers.  I have found that the darker the valley, the more near God is to me.  He's constantly in communication and present when I need Him most.  I am eager with anticipation to see His plan be revealed day by day, moment by moment!
 
I pray that everyone going through difficulties and seasons of prayers yet unanswered, that you will be able to wait patiently on God, stand firm in His truth and promises, to know His goodness and faithfulness, and to feel His loving peace and presence throughout each and every day.  May God bless each and every one of you during this difficult time.  In Jesus' precious name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment