Friday, January 24, 2014

A Call to Wait

I have been reading Hannah's Hope and last night was so blessed to find the poem, "Wait". 

Desperately, helplessly, longingly, I cried:
Quietly, patiently, lovingly God replied.
I pled and I wept for a clue to my fate,
And the Master so gently said, "Child, you must wait."

"Wait? You say, wait!" my indignant reply.
"Lord, I need answers, I need to know why!
Is your hand shortened? Or have you not heard?
By faith, I have asked, and am claiming your Word.

My future and all to which I can relate
hangs in the balance, and YOU tell me to WAIT?
I'm needing a 'yes', go-ahead and sign,
or even a 'no' to which I can resign.

And Lord, You promised that if we believe
we need but to ask, and we shall receive.
And Lord, I've been asking, and this is my cry:
I'm weary of asking! I need a reply!

Then quietly, softly, I learned of my fate
As my Master replied once again, "You must wait."
So I slumped in my chair, defeated and taught
and grumbling to God, "So, I'm waiting... for what?"

He seemed, then, to kneel, and His eyes wept with mine,
And he tenderly said, "I could give you a sign.
I could shake the heavens, and darken the sun.
I could raise the dead, and cause mountains to run.

All you seek, I could give, and pleased you would be.
You would have what you want--But, you wouldn't know Me.

You'd not know the depth of My love for each saint;
You'd not know the power that I give to the faint;
You'd not learn to see through the clouds of despair;
You'd not learn to trust just by knowing I'm there;

You'd not know the joy of resting in Me
When darkness and silence were all you could see.

You'd never experience that fullness of love
As the peace of My Spirit descends like a dove;
You'd know that I give and I save... (for a start),
But you'd not know the depth of the beat of My heart.

The glow of My comfort late into the night,
The faith that I give when you walk without sight,
The depth that's beyond getting just what you asked
Of the infinite God, who makes what you have LAST.

You'd never know, should your pain quickly flee,
What it means that "My grace is sufficient for Thee."
Yes, your dreams for your loved one overnight would come true,
But, Oh, the Loss! If I lost what I'm doing in you!

So, be silent, My Child, and in time you will see
That the greatest of gifts is to get to know Me.
And though oft' My answers seem terribly late,
My most precious answer is still, "WAIT."
 
It's absolutely perfect!  So many times I have cried out just wanting to know the answers.  When will we be pregnant?  Will we have another loss?  How many more losses will we have to suffer?  Will we ever be parents?  Are you calling us to another path, either through adoption or something else?  God, what is your plan in all of this?
 
If only God would show me the forecast of all that is ahead and tell me "Yes, you will have a child someday, relax and be patient" it would be so much easier.  My suffering and anxiety would be much less intense and it would be easier going about daily life.
 
Day 14 - Count it all joy. 365 Days of Thanksgiving. James 1:2-4But, it's through this suffering that my faith has been tested and my relationship and understanding of who God really is has been revealed.  I have said this many times throughout this blog that I truly believe that God allowed me to suffer our losses so that it would strengthen my faith and trust in Him and that it would forever change me in so many ways (as a follower of Christ, woman, wife, and mother). 
 
I honestly believe that there was no other path that could have brought about these changes in me.  It's through the devastation of our losses that I was humbly brought to my knees.  It's in this place that I was able to wholly understand God's grace, strength, love, peace, and compassion.  It's been in this place that I have been able to let go (not as a one time decision but a decision that is required daily) and trust in God's plan, knowing that His ways are much better than mine. 
 
There has never been a time or a season in my life where I have had to depend on God more than I have this past year and a half and continue to today.  All of these blessings would never have entered my life and my story if God would have said "Yes" and answered my prayers immediately, or at least in the first few months of this journey.  It's through the suffering, waiting, and perseverance that I have seen so much of God's beauty.  Even today, He continues to shower me with blessings, slowly revealing all the great things He is doing in my life!
 
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord. (Psalm 27:13-14)
As hard as it is, it's time to WAIT and let God do what He's going to do!  He sees the big picture and reminds us that His plans are for our good...will you trust Him during these difficult seasons and trials in life?  I love the verse found in Psalm 27...be strong and take courage while you wait on the Lord!


No comments:

Post a Comment