Monday, January 27, 2014

The Abundant Life

A "rut" is the perfect word to describe my current state of existence.  For the past few months, more so after our most recent loss, I have been in a rut.  And, as hard as I try, it seems like I am in this constant state of taking 3 steps forward only to take 3 steps backwards.

Just last week I heard a sermon from one of our old pastors and it really spoke to me (and was very convicting).  I feel like I can really relate to this pastor right now as we have both traveled a similar road lately.  It was a year ago that he confided in the congregation that him and his wife had suffered two miscarriages the previous year.  Well, it's been exactly one year since the announcement and request for prayers and they just recently (7-8 weeks ago) welcomed their baby boy into this world!  It truly is a beautiful story, filled with God's many blessings, and it has been amazing watching it all unfold and see God's beauty along the way!

John 10:10 - www.blueeyesandbiscotti.comIn the message, he starts out in John 10:10 where Jesus calls us to live the abundant life.  I can honestly say that "abundant" is not a word that I can use to describe my life as of late.  Yes, it's filled with so many blessings and I am truly grateful for all that God is doing in my life...but I presently am not living up to Jesus' ideal of the "abundant life".

Here's the part of the message that really "spoke to me" and was convicting on many levels.  I'm lacking the abundant life because I am so focused on this ONE thing that I truly believe will give me the abundant life.  If God said to me, "I will grant you one wish...what would you like?" my response this past year would be (hands down) "a healthy pregnancy and baby".  And while that's a relevant request, it shouldn't be the ONE thing at the top of my list that I should be asking for.

Reality is that God just might grant us this one wish someday (or He might not and we will trust that His plans are far greater than ours).  But having a healthy baby will not translate into living the abundant life that Jesus calls us to.  Yes, it will bring so many blessings and fill our hearts in more ways than we can ever imagine, but it's not the answer to truly living the abundant life.

We live the abundant life when we have the Holy Spirit within us and we are aware of God's presence and power in our life, in everything that we do.  We live this abundant life when we realize just how weak we are and that God is in control.  We live abundantly when we give up on these "pursuits" that we believe will lead to our happiness but are in reality just a little band-aid for the time being.  Finally, we live the abundant life when we "give up and let go" and let God take over from here. 

As much progress as I have made throughout this journey in many of these areas, I still have not completely "arrived" at full, 100% submission and "letting go".  Yes, I have more peace, trust, and faith than when I started but God is still constantly calling me to a higher standard than my current state.

This message was absolutely perfect and I highly recommend it to anyone who is "stuck in a rut".  It's a message that is convicting but also so full of hope.  For me, it's a reminder that I need to live in the present, seeking God in every single moment of my life, being aware of His presence...but most importantly, it's a reminder that I need His power to overcome my present circumstances- I cannot do this without Him!

Luke 11:9-10
In Luke 11:5-10, Jesus says to "ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be open".  This isn't just a one time thing...like, "I've asked once and God said 'no' so I guess it's just time to move on to something else".  No, it's not like that at all.  In fact, it's a call for repeated action...keep asking, keep seeking, and keep knocking.  God's first answer is not always His final answer!  Keep on asking and just maybe that door might open, in God's perfect timing!


Not by might nor by power but by my spirit, says the Lord. - Zechariah 4:6The big piece of this message for me, and what lies heavy on my heart, is that I need to keep on asking for God to answer our prayer for a healthy baby...but while doing so, to continue seeking His presence, accepting His peace and His timing, and relying on His power through the Holy Spirit.  I truly believe and am fully confident that God can and will grant this request if it's what He has planned for our life.  It will happen but only in His timing...it's time to realize just how weak I am, how powerful He is, and let go and let God take over!

The sermon can be found at www.friendschurchyl.com/media (January 5, 2014, Small Beginnings)

No comments:

Post a Comment